Drive detection stuff

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Fri Mar 4 04:32:12 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 11:18 +0100, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> writes:
>
> > 2) We don't add any device symlinks. Some programs need these
> >    eg d:: -> /dev/cdrom
>
> That should never be needed on a standard setup. If you know of a case
> where it's required that should be considered a bug.

I thought some programs used them to determine free disk space and
control CD audio amongst other odd things. Half-Life does that to play
its music.

At least, I seem to recall adding the :: symlinks being the answer to
quite a few tech support queries on #winehq, and I know I've needed to
do it before. Is there anything apart from low level drive access where
the device symlink is needed?

thanks -mike