Drive detection stuff

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Mar 4 04:33:55 CST 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 09:54:09AM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> 4) We don't detect new drives as they are mounted into the system, eg if I
>    start a Windows program and then realize that my work is actually on a
>    USB key, if I plug that key in Nautilus and GTK+ (and probably KDE)
>    apps will detect it and see it, but we won't. Not even if I restart the
>    app! This is bad.
>
>    Fixing this is not, in theory, super hard. When HAL detects a new
>    hotplug device it modifies the fstab file and mounts. If we watch the
>    /etc/fstab file for changes and rerun drive detection therefore we can
>    make this all magically work. Problems are:
>
>       - Who triggers the resync? The wineserver is the obvious choice as
>         there is only 1 per wineprefix but we'd need to integrate FAM
>         support for that
>       - How do we broadcast to apps that the drive definitions changed
>  	so we can update the UI, flush any caches etc?
See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/kmarch/hh/kmarch/PlugPlay_289c8080-9400-4cd0-9d44-d637210e8567.xml.asp
and maybe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;867819
for how Windows does drive letter assignment (drive notification)

Are you sure the apps get notified, too?
ISTR XP doesn't automatically update the Explorer view after you have
plugged in a USB stick, or maybe I'm wrong?

Andreas Mohr