Ptrace problem on amd64? (Was: Re: Warcraft III can't find cdrom)

T.J. Zeeman tjzeeman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 14:34:49 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 17:05 +0100, Thomas Zeeman wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:13:13 -0700, Jesse Allen <the3dfxdude at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh do you know any kernel version that does work?
>
> I don't know of any kernel-version that does work, but I have asked on
> the debian-amd64 list and someone over there claimed succes with
> warcraft 3 on amd64 but he was using cedega. Since 2.4 isn't even

I got a reply on that one and he is using 2.6.10 (debian
kernel-image-2.6.10-9-amd64-k8).

Since 2.6.11 was out I tried that one too, but without success.
AFAICT the ptrace patch has not been applied in any form for x86_64 yet.

As an aside I tried several other games I have and SimCity 3000 exhibits
the same behaviour. I could have sworn that I played that game about
half a year ago on the same machine. Unfortunately I no longer have the
installation under which I played it then. It was an earlier version of
debian's pure64 and a sid chroot from around that time is the best
answer my memory can serve.

The last thing I noted was a slight difference in behaviour on mounting
the cdrom. With 2.6.8 I have to become root in the chroot to do an
umount -f /cdrom to get it unmounted in the chroot. With 2.6.10 and .11
I could do it as an ordinary user in the chroot.

Is there anything I could try to figure out through wine's debugoutput?
If so, what channels are recommended to be shown?

regards,
Thomas

PS Are the Debian maintainer and wine on speaking terms again? An
apt-get update showed that 20050211 has entered sid and it wanted to
replace my current install from winehq.