Let's fix Steam!

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Mar 8 05:41:01 CST 2005

Steam has had a serious problem for quite some time, failing with a
strange debug assertion error popup at the dreaded 27% mark.

What's interesting, however, is that Steam works perfectly in Crossover
4.1 - since I don't think Steam is supported, this is not due to a
special hack, and the failure in Steam therefore represents a serious
regression in Wine.

This, quite simply, will be a really cool app to get working again.
Plus, we'll need it to try out Half Life 2 once you awesome Direct3D
boys finish up your work :)

So, where do we go about this?  The installer demonstrating the error
can be downloaded easily from http://www.steampowered.com/ - however,
I'm not sure if it's plausible to run a regression analysis since there
are no patches available against the direct crossover version of Wine.
At this point, I'm not even sure which file has broken, although I do
know that it's one we've had problems with in the past based off of IRC
conversations.

If anyone could follow up with more info, particularly about the
specifics of the error, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie