[HELP] Quartz and FFMpeg question

Christian Costa titan.costa at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 8 11:19:01 CST 2005

> Message du 08/03/05 12:05
> De : "Francois Gouget" <fgouget at free.fr>
> A : "Christian Costa" <titan.costa at wanadoo.fr>
> Copie &agrave; : "wined" <wine-devel at winehq.org>
> Objet : Re: [HELP] Quartz and FFMpeg question
>
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Christian Costa wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm working on a video wrapper around libavcodec from FFMpeg.
> >
> > Currently I can play rle, msvideo1 and mjpeg movies.
> > But before submitting anything I must handle the dependency with libavcodec
> > (and maybe libavformat in the future).
> > AFAIK there is no stable API
>
> How do other projects that use libavcodec and ffmpeg deal with the
> binary compatibility issue?

Mplayer and Gstreamer include ffmpeg sources. They are not in their CVS repository but a snapshot is added during the release process.
Transcode only check for ffmpeg headers and static libraries.
There are several other apps. I will take a look a them.

> At least here (Debian) mplayer depends on
> the libavcodec package instead of copying the source (but it's a bit of
> a special case as they come from a third-party package repository).

This is surprising because libavcodec and libavformat are static libraries so once the binary is generated there is no more dependency.

Christian