Wine in the press

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Thu Mar 10 15:27:18 CST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 05:34, Brian Vincent wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:58:54 +0000, Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> > A bit long, and not everyone will know what WGA is. I'd suggest just
> > paraphrasing it:
> >
> > "Wine is the most popular third party translation technology in use"
> >   -Microsoft
>
> No, I wouldn't do that.  I don't think it's libel, but IANAL and I
> don't really know.

It is not, even if done as shown above.

However when doing this you need to enclose the paraphrased bits in square
brackets so that it makes it clear to people that they should not expect to
find the literal words:

 "[WINE is] the most popular third party translation technology in use" -
Microsoft

Or you can say:

 Microsoft has stated that WINE is "the most popular third
 party translation technology in use" for running Windows
 applications on other platforms.