Warcraft 3 - "no program start menu found"

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 10:01:59 CST 2005

Paul wrote:
> > +HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders,
> > "Programs",,"c:\\windows\\Start Menu\\Programs"
>
> Should we hard-code "c:\\windows" ?
>
> Apart from that, when I look at my WinXP system the entries are in:
>
> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
>
> So there is probably more to it.

The patch doesn't match the bug.  The bug says changing users.reg fixes
it, but this change would affect system.reg.  Or, to echo what Paul said,
the bug says the change should go in HKCU, but the patch changes HKLM.

This should be set when shell32 is registered.  It is for me, anyway.
There are two keys, "Shell Folders" and "User Shell Folders".  Only "User
Shell Folders" affects shell32's behavior, but for backward compatibility
it writes what it finds there to "Shell Folders".  This is what MS shell32
versions 5 and higher do too (and there's a test case that demonstrates
it.)

Anyway, take a look at
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell in both
Shell Folders and User Shell Folders.  You should see entries for Cache,
Cookies, Desktop, Favorites, History, NetHood, Personal, PrintHood,
Programs, Recent, SendTo, StartMenu, StartUp, and Templates.  If not,
reregistering shell32 should fix it.

--Juan