Theming for Wine via the registry

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Mar 12 08:08:16 CST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:16:16 -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> This thread on the forums caught my attention:
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=86939&highlight=wine#post86939
>
> 1) Is there a way we can make Wine respect the current GTK themes?
> Wasn't someone working on this a while ago?  What's the status?

Yeah, but it's an awful lot of work. It basically means rewriting the Wine
widget drawing code to support themes, and then writing a uxtheme<->gtk
bridge layer.

Bridging just the colours is inadvisable. It works OK for the new
Clearlooks/Human theme but for some themes (eg Industrial) it looks
horrible. That said we should definitely alter the Wine colour scheme, in
fact it came up internally in CodeWeavers a few days ago.

> 2) If I want to hack around this by changing the default registry for
> the Ubuntu packages, what's the best way to do that?

Just have a custom .reg file and run it through regedit in the postinst
script.

thanks -mike