Theming for Wine via the registry

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 16:15:28 CST 2005

--- Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 21:00 +0000, Oliver Stieber
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ah, that's different. That'd actually require
> using
> > > Gtk/Qt which we cannot
> > > do, the best we can get is to look like them.
> > >
> >  What's the problem, licensing, integration or
> > thread-safety (I know QT isn't thread safe)
>
> Well all those *could* be problems, but the real
> problem is that the
> Windows widget toolkit and GTK/Qt are too different,
> you can't map
> between them.

The only problem I can see would be drawing the
widgets, I haven't looked deeply enough into QT or GTK
to know if it's more on the 'impossible' side of
difficult or not.

Wrapping the event loop and passing events should be
relatively easy.

> > I may have a look at that too, it would be useful
> if
> > QT/GTK could use some of the existing Windows
> > accessibility software.
>
> No, that's not what I meant. Implementing OLE
> accessibility would mean
> that Win32 apps on Wine appear to in native tools
> like at-poke. It
> wouldn't mean you could use win32 accessibility
> software to access
> native apps.

That doesn't sound too hard, I don't know how well
defined Gnome and QT's accessibility interfaces are
but I think QT's coming along quite well it would be
nice is everything got Dbused though.