Theming for Wine via the registry

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Mar 12 16:36:48 CST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 22:15 +0000, Oliver Stieber wrote:
> The only problem I can see would be drawing the
> widgets, I haven't looked deeply enough into QT or GTK
> to know if it's more on the 'impossible' side of
> difficult or not.
>
> Wrapping the event loop and passing events should be
> relatively easy.

You have feature mismatches, eg GtkTextBuffer cannot do some things the
richedit control can, Win32 menus can't do some things that GTK can etc
etc. Also getting the message/paint sync especially for subclassed
windows would be impossible. Basically we have to do our own widgets, we
can't actually map win32 widgets to some other toolkit.

It was tried, back in the early days of the project (to Tk). But it
failed.

> That doesn't sound too hard, I don't know how well
> defined Gnome and QT's accessibility interfaces are
> but I think QT's coming along quite well it would be
> nice is everything got Dbused though.

Well the Qt/KDE a11y stuff is integrating with the GNOME APIs, as Sun
developed the a11y infrastructure on Linux basically for GNOME. It's
based on CORBA and yes it's quite well defined.

thanks -mike