Are mailslots implemented?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 16 05:10:50 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 18:55 +0900, Mike McCormack wrote:
> Kuba Ober wrote:
>
> > Then probably we can have a tiny suid-executable that's just a reflector:
> > redirects all incoming packets to some other port, and vice versa.
>
> The real solution is to talk through Samba or the kernel.  If Wine owns
> port 138/139 then Samba won't work, and vice versa.  There needs to be
> some sharing mechanism.

This is one of the many things I hope we will discuss at the WineConf.
There should be a good Samba contingent there, and I'm assured a few
wine folks intend to turn up ;-)

In all seriousness, there are existing mechanisms to get at some of
these packets to non-root users, but they are a bit of a Samba-specific
hack.  For Samba4 (which is where we should plan integration, because we
can design it properly) I would love to see wine able to register for
such mailslots with the Samba server.  (Alternate non-samba solutions
will probably be required in parallel, I suppose).

Andrew Bartlett