kde plugin

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun Mar 20 03:30:04 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 01:39 +0000, Oliver Stieber wrote:
>  --- Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 22:05 +0000, Oliver Stieber
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I've got a plugin for KDE that displays icons and
> > > thumbnails for windows applications and dlls in
> > > Konqueror.
> > >
> > > I was intending to extend it to meta info and
> > maybe a
> > > full kioslave for browsing windows PE files, but
> > never
> > > got that far.
> > >
> > > At the moment it's a bit of a licensing nightmare,
> > but
> > > I can package it up in a format that's ok for QT
> > and
> > > Wine if anyone's interested.
> > >
> > > Oliver.
> > >
> > > Send instant messages to your online friends
> > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
> > >

> > Well, there's nothing to stop you from releasing it
> > as public domain or
> > a BSD-type license that should be compatible with
> > anything.  I'm sure
> > people would appreciate your code.
> >

> I'm using a wine header that's lgpl but QT is GPL
> only, I'd just re-write the parts of the header I'm
> using.

That's no problem: you can release your stuff as GPL.  Section 3 of the
LGPL explicitly grants you this right:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html

"3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General Public
License instead of this License to a given copy of the Library. To do
this, you must alter all the notices that refer to this License, so that
they refer to the ordinary GNU General Public License, version 2,
instead of to this License."

In effect, all LGPL software is effectively dual-licensed as GPL.

-Scott Ritchie