KERNEL: Implement undocumented SetCPGlobal API call

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Tue Mar 29 15:59:38 CST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:03, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

> What app does depend on it?

I can't name a specific app that depends on it already (other than Windows
login management processes), but:

- the call has some fairly obvious uses such that it is not out of the
question for an app to use it;
- similar API calls to change the OEM code page are documented;
- documented facilities in the API necessarily imply the existence of this API
call; and
- I am considering using it myself.

While the MultiByteToWideChar API can have its behaviour varied by changing
the first parameter from CP_ACP to some global, the *A calls cannot. Thus
this API call may be important for a server app not compiled for Unicode (or
which uses C libraries without a Unicode interface) which receives, for
example, file names from a client application.

In fact I had an enquiry a week or so ago from our London office which
involved a problem for which the use of this API call is the only reasonable
solution.

Ideally the altered code page setting would be inherited by any child process
created by the parent.