Steam Problems

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon May 2 09:57:12 CDT 2005

> 1) It's always on top of all other windows,on all
> workspaces of GNOME, which is very annoying, and makes
> it impossible to try HL2. If clicked while HL2 is on startup
> screen it will crash the game.
I've sent a patch to wine-patches some time ago, but it wasn't accepted
because it's wrong. The link is
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2005/03/0504.html

You may try it, it fixes Steam in this aspect, but it may break other apps.

> 2) If you click on any game, go to Update News, it will crash
> every time. If there are Update News when Steam is started, it
> will crash (but it will work after that). Here's the output, although it
> doesn't look very helpful to me:
Do you have IE6 installed. Do you use the native shdocvw, mshtml and shlwapi
dlls? What winver have you set?

I don't have Steam installed right now, but I know that those things are
fragile. I've set the above dlls to native, winver = winxp. This way no
things are shown, but Steam doesn't crash. It's possible to get this thing to
work somehow, (winver = win98, native dlls and a correct ie6 installation,
native dcom I think and a few other native dlls), but as I said, it's
fragile.

> ALSA lib control.c:739:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL plug:hw:0
Half-life and friends are broken for me with the alsa driver.

Stefan