Winelib's role in converting Windows applications

Boaz Harrosh boaz at hishome.net
Fri May 6 05:16:56 CDT 2005

I totally disagree. It is like saying Lets not port. And keep paying the
Microsoft tax. Which keeps Microsoft big and Linux small forever.
And is only good for PC. What about IBM machines, PDA(s), Suns, Macs...
An x86 only Linux is not Principal-Linux.

The path is:
- Move to a different compiler on windows. Alternatives:
     comu-c                     - (2 WML (Weeks for 1 million Lines) )
    C++ builder Borland. -  (Lots of COM ATL and MFC see MinGW. Lots of
Win32API STL and C++ - 4 WML )
    gcc (MinGW)            - (Very very soon - 6 WML )
    Intel c++                    - ( Don't know )

- Than Winelib on Linux. If you are using Technologies unavailable in
Wine/Linux, (for example speech to text). Implement it and send patches
to wine.
- Maintain the projects on all platforms (Including windows) with the
same compiler and Makefiles.
- Slowly step-by-step Port MFC code to wxWidgets, STL to STLPort, ATL to
Atilla, msvcrt to glibc ,Win32 to POSIX. And use POSIX portability tools
on Windows.
- Stop the MS tax, grow up, get Independent.

You see Wine is like High-school where you get to Revolt against your
parents. And it is like collage Where you get a real education. Than you
have a real Job and you get to Fly rockets to the moon. But your parents
can't come.

Free Life
Boaz