Regression in Half life

fenix at club-internet.fr fenix at club-internet.fr
Fri May 6 08:40:37 CDT 2005

Hi,

<snip>
>Uh, no, this doesn't help :-(
>
>Half-life supports only 16bpp(well, I can set it to other values with regedit,
>but it seems to have no effect), fglrx supports 24bpp only.

No problem here.

>I switched to the Xorg radeon driver which has 16 bpp support(the 2nd column
>shows 16 now), and made sure that hl runs with 16bpp, but the error still
>occurs.

Yes it don't work,
because you speak about frame buffer (named Color buffer on traces) when you speak about 16bpp. I spoke about depth buffer

<snip>
>  - Depth   : 32    <---- Is half-Life still trying to get 32bpp?????

Yes, but not 32bpp for frame buffer
only for depth buffer (usually Z-buffer)

>But even if it worked this way, this wouldn't be a good solution for ATI
>users, because playing newer games with the "radeon" driver is horrible.
>(e.g. Jedi Academy, gl-117, even tuxracer makes problems).
>
>Removing the failing check from Wine's opengl code doesn't help, it causes a
>hard crash later.

Yes because game expect 32bpp for Depth buffer and if game try to read directly into this buffer you'll have some problems

Regards,
Raphael