Game sound problem with wine 20050310 (Debian testing)

J. Grant jg at jguk.org
Fri May 6 15:31:26 CDT 2005

Hello,

I have been trying to get audio working in sync with the game I am
playing (Activision Call of Duty)

I get this error:

err:wave:DSDB_MapBuffer Could not map sound device for direct access
(Input/output error)
err:wave:DSDB_MapBuffer Use: "HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation" in the
[dsound] section of your config

If I use the suggestion i get 1sec lag on in-game sounds. Someone
#winehq gave me some tips.

I added these extra lines to my ~/.wine/config file, pasted them to me
on #winehq.  I could not find these in the config documentation, could
they be added somewhere please?

[dsound]
;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv" ; default for most common configurations
;"Drivers" = "winearts.drv" ; for KDE
"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv" ; for ALSA users

;; HEL only: Number of waveOut fragments ahead to mix in new buffers.
"HELmargin" = "5"
;; HEL only: Number of waveOut fragments ahead to queue to driver.
;"HELqueue" = "5"
;; Max number of fragments to prebuffer
;"SndQueueMax" = "28"
;; Min number of fragments to prebuffer
;"SndQueueMin" = "12"
;; Forces emulation mode (using wave api)
"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"

;; Sets default playback device (0 - number of devices - 1)
;"DefaultPlayback" = "0"	; use first device (/dev/dsp)
;"DefaultPlayback" = "1" 	; use second device (/dev/dsp1)
;"DefaultPlayback" = "2" 	; use third device (/dev/dsp2)
;; Sets default capture device (0 - number of devices - 1)
;"DefaultCapture" = "0"		; use first device (/dev/dsp)
;"DefaultCapture" = "1"		; use second device (/dev/dsp1)
;"DefaultCapture" = "2"		; use third device (/dev/dsp2)

Unfortunately these did not really change anything. I uncomment them and
changed them around to see if anything changed, but I had to go with eh
"Emulation" bit uncommented as above to get the game to work at all.
(Gave a sound error while loading otherwise)

I wonder if this is a known problem (bug)? Is there a work around?  Or a
fix please?

I am not on this list, so please include my email address in any replies.

Kind regards
JG
--
Homepage: http://jguk.org/