Game sound problem with wine 20050310 (Debian testing)

Paul van Schayck polleke at gmail.com
Sat May 7 03:00:59 CDT 2005

On 5/6/05, J. Grant <jg at jguk.org> wrote:
> I added these extra lines to my ~/.wine/config file, pasted them to me
> on #winehq.  I could not find these in the config documentation, could
> they be added somewhere please?

There is basically no documentation on the config file.

> [dsound]
> ;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv" ; default for most common configurations
> ;"Drivers" = "winearts.drv" ; for KDE
> "Drivers" = "winealsa.drv" ; for ALSA users

Those should not be in [dsound] but in [winmm]. Try ALSA or OSS. Could
make a difference.
You could also set UseMmap to n in [wineoss] when using that.

> Unfortunately these did not really change anything. I uncomment them and
> changed them around to see if anything changed, but I had to go with eh
> "Emulation" bit uncommented as above to get the game to work at all.
> (Gave a sound error while loading otherwise)

It's quite common to have dsound in emulation (it won't work without).
This means a lot of load comes down to the cpu, and where perhaps your
latency comes from.

Paul