wineconsole exits immediately (Wine 20050310 debian sarge/testing)

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Sat May 7 12:40:36 CDT 2005

J. Grant wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thank you for your quick response.
>
> [...]
>
>>> I was trying to run wcmd, it seems to have been renamed wineconsole.
>>

>> No, wcmd is still there, wineconsole is only the "terminal emulation
>> window". If you want wcmd call it something like:
>> wineconsole --backend=user wcmd
>

> Ok, I gave that a shot:
>
> $ wineconsole --backend=user wcmd
> Invoking /usr/lib/wine/wine.bin wineconsole.exe --backend=user wcmd ...
> err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
> err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
> err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
> err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
> err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
> wineconsole: spawning client program failed (L"wcmd"), invalid/missing
> command line arguments ?
> Wine exited with a successful status
> ]$
>

> lrwxrwxrwx  1 now3d now3d 25 2005-05-06 19:36 wcmd.exe ->
> /usr/lib/wine/wcmd.exe.so
>
> That symbolic link is not flashing, but I noticed the file it points to
> does not exist.  I attatched the list of files I do have in /usr/lib/wine/
>
> Is it not possible to just type "wcmd" in bash like we used to be able
> to? could that not be a default or even a shell script which ran
> "wineconsole --backend=user wcmd" if that is now the way to run things ?
Worksforme(TM). Seems your wine installation is broken/incomplete.
I mean both methods work "wcmd" and "wineconsole --backend=user wcmd".
The later one runs a console which is fully compatible to that on
Windows and some programs rely on that. And it has also the advantage
that the wine debugging output (FIXME/ERR) don't clutter the output.

bye
	michael
System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart