Bug 2131 - 16-bit support?

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sun May 8 05:50:12 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 08:09:39PM -0500, Dustin Navea wrote:
> I was wondering, since I have been away for so long, are we still
> implementing functionality for 16-bit programs?  The reason I ask is
> because the freecell and solitaire from Win98/ME will not load in wine,
> while the ones from 2k/XP will.  This is obviously due to the fact that
> our cards.dll is 32-bit only, whereas the cards.dll in Win98/ME is 16-bit.
>
> Of course, the Win98/ME versions of the games wont start on WinXP either
> for the same reason.
As has been mentioned before on WD, cards.dll is a very obvious Microsoft
screwup, since both 16bit and 32bit DLL carry the same name, which is a big no-no.
I really don't think we want to patch our loader like mad to accomodate for such
a stupid mistake.
Instead, maybe we should implement cards16.dll and cards.dll.
Then maybe there would be the possibility to programmatically advise the user
to move the cards16.dll .so to the cards.dll .so in case he requires the 16bit
version?

OTOH, is cards.dll being used by any program other than Microsoft's Solitaire?
If it isn't, then it's rather useless to care about the 16/32bit distinction
anyway.

> Basically, I just need to know for the purposes of resolving this bug,
> should I leave it open and confirmed so that someone knows to implement
> the 16-bit functions (32 <-> 16 bit conversions?), or should I just go
> ahead and close it as WONTFIX?
I think I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable with providing the 32bit cards.dll
only, even though this is a less preferrable situation.

Andreas