Bug 2131 - 16-bit support?

Dustin Navea speeddymon at gmail.com
Sun May 8 15:47:52 CDT 2005

Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As has been mentioned before on WD, cards.dll is a very obvious Microsoft
> screwup, since both 16bit and 32bit DLL carry the same name, which is a big no-no.
> I really don't think we want to patch our loader like mad to accomodate for such
> a stupid mistake.

Figures.. they are always FUBAR'ing things lol..

> Instead, maybe we should implement cards16.dll and cards.dll.
> Then maybe there would be the possibility to programmatically advise the user
> to move the cards16.dll .so to the cards.dll .so in case he requires the 16bit
> version?

Nah, its not worth the trouble to most users.  They just expect it to work.

> OTOH, is cards.dll being used by any program other than Microsoft's Solitaire?
> If it isn't, then it's rather useless to care about the 16/32bit distinction
> anyway.

Doubtful, and I agree.

> I think I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable with providing the 32bit cards.dll
> only, even though this is a less preferrable situation.

I agree here too, as 16-bit support is being phased out (Longhorn wont
run any 16-bit apps), so theres no need for us to keep supporting it.
If someone wants to play with a 16-bit program, they can make a 200mb
DOS/Win3.11 Partition lol...

Dustin