Wine 20050310 redraw problems (specifically with Paint Shop Pro 7)

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 11 10:17:31 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 09:50 -0600, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> You know, it could be one more place then. Native does RedrawWindow when focus
> changes. But not always. As soon as I figure out when we need to redraw and when
> we don't, I'll send you a patch to try.

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense that the X11 side
of things is functioning correctly.

I can't find any wine docs (yet) that describe message flow for the
windowing system, but I suspect the following (someone shout if I'm
definitely right or wrong on this!):

Paint Shop Pro will be one of those classes of apps that looks after its
own drawing windows, and expects the system to pass *all* window related
messages for its drawing window(s) to the app itself, rather than wine
trapping and handling some of them.

I suspect this is what got screwed up as of the 20050111 release - wine
is probably either handling *some* types of window event when it
shouldn't, or at the very least isn't passing them on to the application
so that the app can respond as it sees fit.

That could explain why psp's drawing window isn't cleared when it's
created, redrawn when it's moved etc., but that using psp's own drawing
tools on the window *does* work...

Am I right in thinking that everything in dlls/x11drv/* handles events
between wine and the rest of the Unix desktop, whilst everything in
windows/* handles the event structure and clipping between wine
windows?

cheers

Jules