APPDB: Half-Life and Counter-Strike with WINE

David F. Colwell dfcolwell at dfcolwell.com
Tue May 10 08:33:25 CDT 2005

Chris Morgan wrote:

>If you would like to submit a version please do so.  In your case you
>submitted an entire application that was a duplicate, and when I rejected it
>the version submission implicitly created when submitting an application was
>also deleted.  If there was a particular place that was confusing please
>mention it, we want to ensure that the appdb documentation is as clear as
>possible.
>
>Do we even need to have the retail version of CS in appdb?  Nearly all CS
>servers upgrade when new versions come out as bugs and exploits are fixed in
>older versions.  I don't think we want to list every version that CS has ever
>released, this means we would have a forum, description and an entry for each
>CS release?  That seems like a bit much.  Typically we bundle similar
>versions together.  If you would like to add specific testing results for the
>retail version I think you should do so in the existing Counter-Strike
>version entry.  A common method is a table similar to that in the version
>template where the first column is the version of CS, the second the version
>of wine and the rest like the normal testing table.
>
>Chris
>

>On Monday 09 May 2005 8:53 pm, David F. Colwell wrote:
>

>>Hiji wrote:
>>

>>>--- "David F. Colwell" <dfcolwell at dfcolwell.com>

>>>I found it too, but I believe the problem was that he
>>>was trying to add a specific version (1.0.0.0), and he
>>>got the error.  The versions I see on there are
>>>1.1.0.8 and 1.1.1.0
>>>
>>>David, can you elaborate for us?
>>>
>>>Hiji
>>>

>>>Yahoo! Mail
>>>Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour:
>>>http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html
>>>

>>Roger that.  I have version 1.0.0.0 of CS and submitted it as such.  I
>>entered version "1" of HL having not readily found the version.  After
>>more searching I now find I have version 1.0.0.9  Nevertheless, should
>>the CS have been rejected?  I see the DB now and I probably didn't
>>submit well.  I pasted my original mail to wine-users at winehq.org in the
>>description portion of the form and then got lazy and said "see above"
>>in the following section.

My only thoughts are that as time goes by, older, retail, CD, versions
may be played by more people simply because they have the CD and
WON/update servers are down.  The games are still  as playable as when
they were introduced.  In a restricted environment like a LAN one might
expect less or no cheats/hacks to sour the play of a game like
Counter-Strike.  Therefore, making it more enjoyable.  An old game
played by someone for the first time is still a new game to them.
I assumed the DB was expected to be exhaustive.  If not, my apologies.
My intent on submitting my findings to wine-users at winehq.org was to
share them with anyone who, like me, dug up an old CD for their kids to
play.  Since it cost me a couple of hours of futzing, I thought I might
save others the trouble.  It is my belief that if one person is doing
something, then a couple of hundred others are too.
It looks like I must become a maintainer to add the version.  By the
standard listed in
http://appdb.winehq.org/help/?topic=maintainer_guidelines I do not
qualify as I don't intend to run the app regularly.  So I hope my post
to wine-users at winehq.org is sufficient.
Cheers.