[WINEDOCS] Add French translation for Wine's FAQ

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Thu May 12 23:58:14 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 16:49 +0200, Francois Gouget wrote:
> This patch adds the framework for translating Wine's documentation and
> adds a translation of the FAQ to French as a demonstration.

No compressed patches, please.

Also, the patch is big, and some things are cleaner than others.
Let's break it down a bit.

> Here is what the framework does:
>
>   * first it moves most of en/Makefile.in to Make.rules.in so that this
> code can be shared across the various translations.

Well, the reason I didn't do that is for cases like incomplete
translations.

We can move to Make.rules.in:
  -- DB2* defines
  -- the targets (docs, pdf, etc)
  -- the tar rules

The rest we can keep local, see how things evolve. We can always
refactor it up.

>   * the actual translation is stored in a po file, one per documentation
> document. So for French we currently have fr/wine-faq.po and later we
> will also have wineusr-guide.po and winelib-guide.po.

I'm not too hot about it to be honest. SGML is hard on the eye, this .po
stuff seems to be even worse. But maybe it's easier to work with due to
the various tools. If it makes it easier for you to maintain the
translation, I'm cool with it. However, I'm not sure this will be the
preferred way for all translators out there, so we shouldn't force it
on everybody.

>   * Using po files lets us track exactly which translation paragraphs
> are up to date and which are not. It also lets us leverage the tools
> that have been developed around that format such as KBabel and maybe
> even make it possible for contributors to translate the documentation
> online using tools like Pootle (http://pootle.wordforge.org/), Kartouche
> (http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kartouche/) or Rosetta
> (https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta).

This is great, but I doubt such tools can tell you *what* changed when
something did change (the *what* here is "how did paragraph change")

>   * The link between the SGML files and the PO files and back is handled
> by PO4A (http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/).

I'm a bit worried about this one. It's new, debian specific, etc.
There's no .rpm for it, and that makes me nervous. Tools like this
must be easily available.

Even if we go for it, maybe we'll have to keep the generated .sgml
in CVS (just like configure).

>   * So configure.ac checks for the po4a tools. If they are missing then
> the translated documentation cannot be built. I also added a
> Makepo.rules.in that should be used by Makefiles building translated
> documentation. What it does is just include the main Make.rules.in file
> and add a couple of rules for generating SGML using PO files, and
> extending the 'clean' target. This last bit cannot be put in the
> top-level Make.rules.in because it does '$(RM) $(ALLBOOKS:%=%.sgml)'
> which would be unfortunate in the en directory.

The $(RM)... can remain local, and the rules can go in Make.rules.in.
It would be confusing to have too many rule files.

>      sed -e 's/^<\(article .*\) lang="en">$/<\1 lang="fr">/'  -e
>       's/^<\(book .*\) lang="en">$/<\1 lang="fr">/' wine-faq.posgml
>       >wine-faq.sgml || (rm -f wine-faq.sgml && false)

Nasty. BTW, the 'lang="en"' part of the patch can go in separately too.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.