WineHQ css; binfmt && Mono && wine

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sat May 21 06:22:01 CDT 2005

Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> writes:

> What people really want is to able to simply do:
>    $CC -o myapp -lwine
> or even better:
>    void *wine = dlopen("wine");
>    if (wine) {
>    }
> This is what we need to provide.
>
> You see, right now we offer the most functionally reach Winelib,
> but at a high usage point. I can image lots of use cases where
> people would go for a bit less functionality (say no native DLLs)
> if they could use Winelib as described above.

IMO the no native DLLs bit kills 99% of the potential uses of the
feature. The reason people want to dlopen libwine is so that they can
do everything in Unix except occasionally load some Windows driver or
DLL for which they need to load Wine on the fly. If the app itself is
using the Windows API then I don't see why making it a Winelib app is
a problem.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org