WineHQ css; binfmt && Mono && wine

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sat May 21 13:44:53 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 13:22 +0200, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> IMO the no native DLLs bit kills 99% of the potential uses of the
> feature. The reason people want to dlopen libwine is so that they can
> do everything in Unix except occasionally load some Windows driver or
> DLL for which they need to load Wine on the fly.

Well, even if it is so, we have a problem. We have very poor support
for this use case. People don't want to turn their app into a Winelib
app for some occasional need of a Win32 PE DLL.

Maybe we could provide some sort of static lib that they can link with
(effectively turning their app into a Winelib app, but that's another
story), so that their app would be able to use Wine is available on
the user's system, and degrade gracefully if it is not present.

And while we're at it, we need to get rid of the startup script.
People really hate that (I'm not debating whether this is a rational
hate, it's just an observation).

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.