qcap/avicap and driver models

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Tue May 24 06:35:21 CDT 2005

Eric Pouch wrote:

I've been on vacation for a few days but want to comment on this.

> > for it, as rolf kalbermatter pointed out in
> > http://www.winehq.com/?issue=274#Video%20Capture%20in%20Windows
>
> as already stated, drivers should be written as follows:
> 1/ since it's wine specific, its name should start with wine
> (so winevfw or whatever)

We agree here all I think. The postfix may be an issue but the rest is
very clear. The idea to try to create one driver for all possible APIs
looks like a good one, at least if Alexandre doesn't feel bad about to
many conditional compilation macros to support the different possible
APIs (if any, I'm only a little bit familiar with v4l)

> 2/ the driver shall be a driver for both avicap and qcap DLL

As far as I can see it, this is also exactly as Windows does it. The
VfWCaptureFilter really is just a DirectShow wrapper around the same
installable driver interface as is used in avicap.

> 3/ interfaces to the driver should be the regular windows'
> ones (fetch information on avicap driver interface, as well as DShow
> driver interface - DDK info on the Web are your friend)

Apparently there is indeed also a direct interface to WDM stream drivers
somewhere, if you mean this with the DirectShow driver interface. However
this has no importance for Wine as WDM drivers really are kernel mode drivers
and therefore won't be possible to implement nor run in Wine at all.