Translate the WineFAQ to French (gettext)

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Thu May 26 10:52:43 CDT 2005

Dimi Paun wrote:
[...]
>>However the RedHat / Fedora Core package manager was awfully
>>inadequate, offering no search functionality at all (<flame>they
>>probably think the dumbed-down categories remove the need for
>>it</flame>).
>
> The package manager does not do that. Did you try http://rpmfind.net?
> Also, the packages should be available via yum (most likely at
> DAG http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/rpmforge.php)

As far as I could see neither will let me search for a package based on
the name of a file it contains. For instance in both cases a search on
'gettext.pm' returns no result though both know about perl-Locale-gettext.

But I found http://rpm.pbone.net/ which seems to be giving good results.
However it often gives more than one result for a given distribution and
it's not always clear which packages are official and which are not. For
instance nsgmls seems to be provided by opensp and openjade on Fedora. I
think openjade is the official package...

>>In fact I did not find *any* perl package listed
>>in RedHat's package manager!
>

> And herein lies the problem: hate it or love it, it's the most
> used distribution, and it should work on it first and foremost.

Hehe, maybe.. maybe not. According to DesktopLinux RedHat (including
Fedora Core) was third behind Mandrake and SUSE.
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2127420238.html
Not that their 'survey' is very reliable or that this is very important,
Fedora is one of the main Linux distributions anyway.

> On a slightly different note, I think you are comparing apples
> to oranges: you want rpm to provide search equivalent to what
> an indexing site does for Debian. It shouldn't and there are
> such sites out there.

True but I also mentioned that SUSE's Yast2 let me search for the
package providing a given file even if that package was not installed.
This is exactly the functionality that is missing from RedHat's package
manager (and from Debian's). I also mentioned that the problem I
encountered was probably at least partly related to my inexperience with
RPM.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com