Wine on Solaris?

Robert Lunnon bobl at optushome.com.au
Tue Nov 1 14:40:05 CST 2005

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 00:10, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Rob D <rddone at att.net> writes:
> > After perusing Robert Lunnons patchkit for hints to resolve build issues,
> > it would appear that most of the issues that keep Wine from building on
> > Solaris are known, but for whatever reason, do not get accepted into the
> > main stream source.
>
> Any fix that is done cleanly is accepted. Ugly hacks and workarounds
> aren't, no matter whether they are for Solaris, FreeBSD or Linux.

I'd disagree, if there was an issue with linux that required an "Ugly hack or
workaround" to make it work then it would get in.  A great example is the
current ugly workaround for ensuring memory is allocated below 0x80000000. I
contend that  ugly hacks for core functionality under Linux are allowed that
are not allowed for other OSes

There are several things that were rejected simply because  the design
decisions I took were not considered acceptable. It is really not fair to
characterise these as ugly hacks and workarounds.

Of the hundred or so patches I have developed and had under maintenance over
he last couple of years there are only about 25 outstanding ones. The
majority of these are in-development patches  or deltas to the tools which
allow me to customise the build process for my purposes. Only three patches
(4 or 6 of the 25 diffs) are being maintained outside the Wine project
because they were refused, it's just a pity they are so central to making
Wine run under Solaris.

> > I know that Solaris does several things quite different than most *nix
> > implementations, but perhaps due to the limited use of Solaris, the
> > powers that be resist putting in extra tests to support a small set of
> > users.
>
> Certainly not. I'd love to have better Solaris support, but the fact
> is that some of the issues like threading or ptrace are hard to solve
> properly.

You better believe it, though the threading is a done deal and works perfectly
on Solaris 10 and up. (ptrace is an absolute nightmare - I worked for a month
and failed to get winedbg working due to a very obscure deadlock).
Fortunately the solaris debugger (mdb) is very good at digging out Wine bugs.
winedbg would be good to allow me to participate in application debugging,
but it's not essential since I can use linux for that.

> It has taken months of work to implement them on Linux, and
> it will probably take about the same amount of time for Solaris. So
> it's mostly an issue of lack of manpower on the Solaris side. Robert
> Lunnon is doing a lot of great work, but there is only so much a
> single person can do.

Thank you,
I agree, I can't work full-time on it, so It gets attention sparodically when
I generate a new package, and only as far as to get my two or three test
applications working. If someone wants to pay me a salary to work full-time,
I'd be happy to consider it. Solaris Wine needs lots of stuff done.