DirectSound, new patch available for testing

Randall Walls rwalls at gwi.net
Wed Nov 2 20:18:48 CST 2005

Tested again with BattleZone2 and I'm still getting what sounds like
serious buffer underruns with this new patch. This one seemed to 'skip'
a bit more too, depending on action taking place on screen, but that
could be due to other issues (system load etc...). Running with Alsa as
the audio driver and full hardware acceleration, no emulation. Tested
both with and without the registry key set, and stuttering and the
looping sounds actually seemed to get worse WITH the key. Switched to
OSS driver to test (this would be Alsa's OSS emulation) and I still get
the repeating sounds but some of the other issues are better.
BattleZone2 does have a demo that can still be found online, and there
was a patch on the list not too long ago to get the demo up and running.

Again, let me know if any traces would be benneficial.

Randall Walls