killing wine dregs

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Sat Nov 5 15:37:37 CST 2005

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:50:17 +0100, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>
wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, wino at piments.com wrote:
> [...]
>> I find killing it by hand labourious so I used the following command to
>> clean up and have now defined it as an alias to make life easier.
>>
>> pgrep wine|while read p; do kill -9 $p ; done;
>
> You should try out pkill to simplify it even further.
>
> [...]
>> in fact it seems even kill -9 cant clean up some times.
>
> Besides the zombie processes mentionned before, some processes may be
> stopped (e.g. by the debugger) and won't die until you send them a CONT
> signal.

After an untidy exit I get stuck with the following. I took it right down
and even logout out of the initial login console using cntl-D

bash-3.00#killwine
kill -9 16322
kill -9 16406
bash-3.00#wineserver -k
Segmentation fault
bash-3.00#pgrep -l wine
16322 wineserver
16406 wine-preloader

It really seems like all I can do here is init 0 !!