Segmentation Fault in wine cvs after 0.9

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Sun Nov 6 12:11:26 CST 2005

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:29:02 +0100, zhilla <zhilla at spymac.com> wrote:

> before submitting this as bug, some advice please...
> on slackware 10.2 (gcc 3.3.6) i compile wine cvs, and it has worked so
> far. last version working is around or exactly 0.9.
> now, it compiles/installs fine, but any program, including starting just
> "wine", "notepad" or anything else, ends up quickly with "Segmentation
> fault".
> this is my simple custom buildscript...
>
> PKGDATE=`date +%Y%m%d` &&
> CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" \
> CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -m3dnow -msse
> -mmmx" \
> CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS \
> ./configure \
> --disable-debug && \
> make && make depend && \
> checkinstall -S --pkgname=wine --pkgarch=athlonxp --pkgversion=$PKGDATE
> -y
> also, tried removing ~/.wine and creating new one, it starts automatic
> configure but compiled wine also segfaults.
>
> then, changed processor optimizations to much more conservative
> "-O2 -march=i486 -mcpu=i686"
> and it it works like a charm.
> athlon-xp optimizatins used in the first place are from
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags . if gentoo people claim these are
> safe cflags, and it worked until couple days ago, then something is
> definetly wrong, right?

well if you have to pretend your Athlon-xp is a 486 to get wine to work I
would say there's a problem that needs looking at but you probably should
pin it down a bit more precisely before reporting it.

you should also look at gcc doc to see what all these things mean before
playing with them. Your post indicates you dont know much about CFLAGS
apart from what someone added to a wiki page, although I would say those
recommendations (rather than what you posted) have been very good for me
on Gentoo with Athlon-xp for a couple of years.

I have not tried winecvs since 0.9

HTH