What to do when X11DRV_DIB_BuildColorMap is called with more than 256 colors?

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Sun Nov 6 14:58:43 CST 2005

I have an old copy of Microsoft's Trip Planner 5 software that I was
trying to get to run. When I try to plan a trip, the program will draw
the map fine, then it attempts to draw the dialog for setting up the
trip data. At this point, the app calls X11DRV_DIB_BuildColorMap with a
bmiHeader.biClrUsed count of 257.

Now, if I remove the code within X11DRV_DIB_BuildColorMap that checks
for colors > 256, the code makes it past this point. It dies much later,
after I have entered the start point of the journey.

So, now what? Is there a shortcoming within BuildColorMap, or is some
other code misleading the app? How do I go about debugging this?