Segmentation Fault in wine cvs after 0.9

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Sun Nov 6 15:52:59 CST 2005

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:11:26 +0100, <wino at piments.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:29:02 +0100, zhilla <zhilla at spymac.com> wrote:
>
>> before submitting this as bug, some advice please...

> well if you have to pretend your Athlon-xp is a 486 to get wine to work
> I would say there's a problem that needs looking at but you probably
> should pin it down a bit more precisely before reporting it.
>
> you should also look at gcc doc to see what all these things mean before
> playing with them. Your post indicates you dont know much about CFLAGS
> apart from what someone added to a wiki page, although I would say those
> recommendations (rather than what you posted) have been very good for me
> on Gentoo with Athlon-xp for a couple of years.
>
> I have not tried winecvs since 0.9
>
> HTH

Re.
>>> CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -m3dnow -msse
>> -mmmx" \

You asked for advice, I wont say RTFM, I'll just quote it:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.1/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386%20and%20x86-64%20Options

-mtune=cpu-type
Tune to cpu-type everything applicable about the generated code, except
for the ABI and the set of available instructions. The choices for
cpu-type are:
athlon-4, athlon-xp, athlon-mp
Improved AMD Athlon CPU with MMX, 3dNOW!, enhanced 3dNOW! and full SSE
instruction set support.
-march=cpu-type
Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type. The choices for
cpu-type are the same as for -mtune. Moreover, specifying -march=cpu-type
implies -mtune=cpu-type.

-mcpu=cpu-type
A deprecated synonym for -mtune.

Please dont compound the idea that all Gentoo users are cflag-psycopaths.
;)