100% CPU usage in Wine-0.9

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Nov 10 13:25:14 CST 2005

Hello,
>    NOTE - I do not think this is somethign new. I've seen programs
> running under Wine in the past using 100% CPU, but they were big
> complicated programs and not available freely so it would have been
> hard to work on. I think with the information I've given in the first
> post this should be something more people should be able to look at
> more easily.
This is odd, I downloaded the programs, but I can't reproduce the behaviour.
Triangle seems to work just fine - I can play sounds(or, better, I could, if
I had more idea of music ;-) ). Hardly any CPU usage.
With crystal running, I get 1% user, 0.3% system cpu usage, but I can't hear
any sounds. Are there any settings I have to change to make the program play
something?

So the usual questions arise:
*What kernel do you have(I have 2.6.14.1)
*What X version(X.Org 6.8)
*Graphics card + driver(Radeon mobility M9, fglrx)
*Sound card + driver(some realtek audio, snd-intel8x0)

The high system cpu usage looks suspicios, there might be a driver issue. I've
seen this behavior with the radeon driver from X.org and Battlefield 1942.

The fact that the same .exe file produced different behavior is easy to
explain: The program seems to be just a loader for a dll file with the same
name. So if you exchange the crystal.dll and the triangle I.dll, it's likely
that you get changed behavior. So you can even save disk space if you just
create symlinks to savihost.exe ;-)

I suspect my no-sound issue to be connected with the problems you describe.
You could try to use different sound drivers(oss, alsa, arts, esd). Arts and
esd might be interesting here, because there's no direct hardware access, so
there should be no high system cpu usage.

Stefan