Brain Storming Regarding Winapt - Package Management for Windows

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Nov 13 09:00:35 CST 2005

Well, this is all rather off-topic for wine-devel - Win32 experts
certainly do live here but you don't need Win32 experts for a project like
this.

That said, I think you should compare the number of people wishing Linux
has more Windows/Mac like package management vs the reverse before
porting the spectacular piece of brokenness known as apt to Windows. Do
that many people actually want it? I would guess not.

Remember that on Windows, the most popular programs aren't free anyway.
Also remember that Windows programs don't usually have dependencies
outside of the Win32 platform, making a tool like apt rather overkill. I
suspect what you actually want is just a software catalogue or somesuch,
but you can do that using a web page just as easily as a program ...

If you really want to go ahead I'd recommend something like Delphi or
Visual Basic as a developer tool - raw C/C++ coding against Win32 is
really quite nasty.

thanks -mike