Question about ~/.wine/dosdevices/

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Nov 13 16:16:25 CST 2005

Sunday, November 13, 2005, 3:04:14 PM, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:

>> Sunday, November 13, 2005, 12:46:34 PM, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:

>> > I have read this, but is does not explain what the behavour is/suppose to
>> > be when there exists an /mnt/windows. dosdevices/c: always points to
>> > ../drive_c. So the doc does not answer the questions I asked:

>> > But how are dosdevices/c: related to my /mnt/windows? Are files first

>> It doesn't. ~/.wine/dosdevices/c: points to what windows programs will see as a
>> "c:" drive.

>> Please never point your c: drive to the real windows drive - that won't help
>> wine at all but it might brake your windows beyond repair.

> Hmm, you are the third to answer me, but none so far have answered my
> questions.
That's you who can't read. I will repeat again: "~/.wine/dosdevices/c: points to
what windows programs will see as a "c:" drive."

Please read it again (if that's what it takes). Then thing about "what does c:
drive or any other drive means on windows".

The rest of your Linux file system, is like "unpartitioned" space for windows
programs. Can install a program on windows to unpartitioned space (or partition
that is not assigned a drive or reparse point)?

Vitaliy