Question about ~/.wine/dosdevices/

Jonathan Ernst Jonathan at ErnstFamily.ch
Sun Nov 13 16:29:16 CST 2005

Le dimanche 13 novembre 2005 à 23:04 +0100, Peter Berg Larsen a écrit :
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>
> > Sunday, November 13, 2005, 12:46:34 PM, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:

> > > I have read this, but is does not explain what the behavour is/suppose to
> > > be when there exists an /mnt/windows. dosdevices/c: always points to
> > > ../drive_c. So the doc does not answer the questions I asked:
>
> > > But how are dosdevices/c: related to my /mnt/windows? Are files first
>
> > It doesn't. ~/.wine/dosdevices/c: points to what windows programs will see as a
> > "c:" drive.
>
> > Please never point your c: drive to the real windows drive - that won't help
> > wine at all but it might brake your windows beyond repair.
>
> Hmm, you are the third to answer me, but none so far have answered my
> questions.
>

> Are files first looked up in dosdevices/c: and the in /mnt/windows/ if
> not found?
>
> The reason I ask is that icewind dale on /mnt/windows/ does a
> FindFirstFileA("C:/program...") which wine translates to dosdevice/c: and
> ofcause does not find anything. Am I suppose to make a link to where the
> program is installed, as if I had installed it with wine?
> <<<
>
> So I will try and refraise the questions:
>
> How does wine differentiate whether I have installed a program under
> ~/.wine/drive_c/ or under /mnt/windows/, when it does a
> FindFirstFileA("c:/Program Files/")? In the first case it should translate
> it to ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/ and in the latter
> ~/.wine/dosdevices/z:/mnt/windows/Program Files/?

If it searches for c:\program files then it will search it in
~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/. ~/.wine/dosdevices/c: can then
point to anything you decided.

> If I have a program that does this, should I then make a link from
> ~/.wine/drice_c/Program Files/foo to /mnt/windows/Program Files/foo? (This
> will work with this program, but I have newer read such recommendation).

Yes you could do that.
--
Jonathan Ernst <Jonathan at ErnstFamily.ch>