RFC: Presentation for Desktop Architecture meeting

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sun Nov 13 23:53:51 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 22:55 -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> The Open Office file is available for download here:
>   http://dl.codeweavers.com
>   access key 'deskarch'

Yeah, not there :(

> Wine Project History
>  Founded 1993
>  Single Maintainer
>  797 Contributors over Lifetime, ~40 active
>  Alpha Software, limited functionality, through 2005
>  First Beta (0.9) released October 2005
>  Many things work
>  Server interface stable
>  Some ABI stability

I'd say we have the best ABI stability, since we follow
MS, and they typically don't break it. It's a lot more
likely we'll break the server interface, there's no real
reason not to, all calls to the server should be generated
through the base DLLs, and _that_ interface is stable :)

> Associations With Other Desktop Organizations
>  Wine is a power user of the kernel, glibc, and x.org
>   Have very specific needs around memory, threading, and display control
>   We break X more than any other app I know
>  We get no respect
>   exec shield, glibc threading changes, feels like a constant arms race; be nice if we could be more involved, given time to respond
>  Also touch:  OpenGL, ALSA/Jack/ESD/Arts/OSS
>  Hurray for Freedesktop.org
>   Menu Specifications
>   Xembed Protocol

I guess we need to spell out what we need from other projects
to better integrate Win32 apps with the rest of Linux. These
things take time, and we need to bring them on their radar.

Also, if OSDL is willing to put some of their uber-kernel hackers
on Desktop Linux, would be nice if we could come up with a spec
on what needs to be done on the kernel side to speed up Wine.
I know, this has been hashed out to death before, but I guess it
would be interesting to probe and find out their willingness to
help us out on the kernel side of things.

Not to mention X, and OpenGL. What else?

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.