cant install IE5.5 on 0.9.1

Ray Jones rayjones at gmx.net
Mon Nov 14 03:40:33 CST 2005

 <wino <at> piments.com> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:35:43 +0100, Vitaliy Margolen
> <wine-devel <at> kievinfo.com> wrote:
>
> > Sunday, November 13, 2005, 5:10:38 PM, wino <at> piments.com wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >
> >> trying to minimise the number of preinstall tools and scripts to run
> >> stuff
> >> on wine-0.9.1
> > [skipped]
> >> Is this fixable / worth persueing or should I just settle for advising
> >> ppl
> >> to use sidenet?
> > Why would any one want to use it?
>
> The principal reason at the moment is that it is the only way I can get
> Dragon NS to install with anything more recent that 20050524!
>
> Reason no.2 is that is sure as hell going to be bigger that ie5
>
> Reaon no.3 is that MS get more dangerous and devious with every release. I
> apply a crude rule that earlier is likely to mean less issues where MS is
> concerned.
>
> > Have you read app db entry for IE6? Apparently
> > not. Please do.
> >

> Well, actually, yes. And the manual method seems to be basically what
> sidenet does for me anyway(-DCOM98 install) just a lot more hassle.
>

> If there are no better suggestions I will just stick with sidenet (without
> IE6) then a manual IE5.5

Heya,

for me IE60 installs with a "fresh and clean" wine (CVS 11/11) and just
"ADVPACK.DLL" set to "native". I've tested it with WINE-Version Win98, 2000 and
XP. For Win98 I've done a minimalistic installation like Sidenet does, though.

But besides that I made my "own" (very sidenet-based) script to make things more
comfortable. The Sidenet-Registry (read: basic WINE configuration) appears to be
a bit more "making my stuff work", too. For instance, I just can't Regsvr32 a
native MSXML3.DLL with "standard" WINE. With sidenet it's working flawless.