make builtin dlls visible for applications?

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 19 02:22:34 CST 2005

Hans Leidekker wrote:
> On Friday 18 November 2005 02:05, Juan Lang wrote:
>

>>Someone proposed a hack where the loader would know that these DLLs are
>>dummies based on a wine-specific flag in the header.
>

> Why a dummy? Why not ship a full PE DLL with a flag saying it's a built-in?
> That way file existence checks, PE header checks, LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATA_FILE,
> resource scraping, even some copy protection checks, etc. could all work.
that's not that easy. using .so file allows you to (without pain):
- handle relocation in memory
- resolve dependencies to other .so libraries
If you'd have to store the equivalent of the .so file as a binary array
in a PE file, you'll have to sort this out by hand (so more or less
write a full ELF loader).

Last but not least, moving to a full PE file for our builtin DLLs is not
  easily possible, especially because of the way we handle NE modules.

A+
--
Eric Pouech