What would most aid WINE development?

Jeremy White jwhite at winehq.org
Sat Nov 19 14:13:05 CST 2005

> My belief (which opposes the 'fact' stated above) is that if there was
> virtually complete documentation of what exists, and full disclosure
> of additions and modifications, a cloning could be achieved.  Of
> course it would take a huge capital and time investment, but the
> payoff would likely be worth it.

Well, it's lovely to know that we don't exist <grin>.

To be honest, I'm a bit troubled by your remark.
I think Wine is a lot further along than you, and
most other people, seem to realize; further,
we're not just lazing around waiting for help.

Wine is not perfect; while many apps 'just work',
most have some small flaws, and many don't work at all.

Now we can probably never make it 'perfect';
that much of the findings of fact is acurrate, imo.

However, a whole lot of things 'just work' right now, and
nearly everything else can be made to work
with only a modest amount of elbow grease.

Further, I think we are well on our way to
making most things work well enough to slash
the applications barrier to entry drastically.

Wine absolutely needs a huge investment of
time and money.  But it's had a huge investment
of time from the folks reading this list
(as well as others).  Further, it's fair to say that
every CodeWeavers employee and customer continues to invest
a subtantial sum of money into Wine as well,
not to mention the many other organizations that
contribute money towards Wine, either directly or indirectly.

Can we use *more* money and time?  You bet, and that
would be great.  Further, the money needed to
make a substantial dent would be trivial compared
to its strategic impact.

Cheers,

Jeremy