DirectX 8 wrapper update

Willie Sippel willie at zeitgeistmedia.net
Sun Nov 20 12:02:41 CST 2005

Am Sonntag, 20. November 2005 18:35 schrieb Oliver Stieber:
> --- Willie Sippel <willie at zeitgeistmedia.net> wrote:
> > Out from Boneville, Telltale Games
> > Shows a black screen as soon as it enters D3D mode - music plays, menu
> > gives feedback, but it stays black. Used to show stuff without the patch.
> > Demo available at
> > http://www.telltalegames.com/products?pc=bn0102&CID=0&dlact=1
>
> Hmm.. I can;t get it to run at all, even under windows!

That's strange. It installed just fine with Wine a few weeks ago, using no
native DLLs IIRC. Maybe it needs the Transgaming MozCtl? I'll try to
re-install later - maybe it's a regression elsewhere, or it needs funky
settings...

> > Morrowind, Bethesda Softworks
> > Still gives the "unknown stencil mode" error and quits.
>
> I'm going to re-write mode detection in the next week or so, so hopefully
> this will be fixed.

Great!

> > Freelancer, Digital Anvil
> > Mousepointer invisible (with and without your patch), lots of drawing
> > errors, particle effects displayed wrong or missing completely. Demo
> > available at http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/freelancer.aspx#downloads
>
> Thanks, I'll take a look.

This one could get rough. Microsoft Games. The intro is a WMV (Wine skips it
completely), the music hangs (filed bug 3853), a trace shows lots of
unrecognized D3DFORMATs (1347371332 and 943800644) and stuff... But at least
it installs and starts, whereas Cedega 5.0 just crashes (installer _and_
game). ;-)

And I tested another game:

X2 - The Threat (rolling demo), Egosoft
Still crashes with vertex shaders enabled, but the splash gets displayed
correctly with your new patch (was messed up with the alpha patch). After the
splash, it displays a random quote, that one's still messed up (works without
the patch). The demo itself seems to look better with the patch, however.
It's available for download at
http://www.egosoft.com/download/x2/demos_en.php?download=22

> Oliver.

Ciao,