PATCH: long registry lines loading

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Nov 20 15:25:08 CST 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 05:45:13PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> I have this patch proposal, but I fear it might not fly with Alexandre ;)
Not only with Alexandre, I'm afraid ;)

Why not follow a dual strategy: use a static buffer for <= MAX_PATH and use a
malloc()ed buffer if it exceeds that size?
(ok, scrap that, static plus malloc() is a BAD idea:)
Or, since the original buffer variable was static anyway, you could just *always*
(re-)use an malloc()ed buffer and *grow* it whenever the previous size was to small...

I haven't looked too closely at the code, but repeated malloc()/free() in "fast-as-lightning"
registry code sounds like a terrible solution that can be easily transformed into something
better here, it seems.

Andreas