Licensing and technical issues with a Wine package that includes the Mozilla ActiveX Control

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Mon Nov 21 21:30:26 CST 2005

Le dim 20/11/2005 à 15:19, Jonathan Ernst a écrit :
> Le dimanche 20 novembre 2005 à 12:04 -0800, Scott Ritchie a écrit :
> [...]
> >
> > Requiring the user to configure it with Winetools is always an option.
> > Currently, when Wine discovers an app like Steam that needs ActiveX, it
> > prompts the user if he would like to download it.  However, this doesn't
> > work.  If that were working automagically (with the download location
> > being one who has distribution rights), perhaps this whole issue would
> > go away.
>
> Maybe we could make Wine download this file from several locations that
> have a right to redistribute it (Does someone at WineHQ or Codeweavers
> has a MSVC licence ?)... We could use the same script I did for the
> Mozilla ActiveX Control ?

? We already provide a link to download the Mozilla ActiveX control
(which already _contains_ msvcp60.dll, see below) on winehq. The problem
is that it'd like to load that file (or msvcp70.dll, but it's basically
the same thing) before it's available.

Try this (which work without downloading anything else than the control
from the web):
Make a symlink from your fake "c:\windows\system32" named msvcp70.dll
pointing to "c:\Program Files\Mozilla ActiveX Control
v1.7.12\msvcp60.dll". Then download/install the Mozilla ActiveX control.
It'll register itself correctly. You can then remove the symlink, it
looks like it works after.

I thought about patching the RH binaries to do just that (when we
download the file), but it'd need users to keep the default location,
and would be a bit fragile.

Also, about including the control in binary packages, even without any
license worries, it'd still increase the size of your binary packages by
almost 5MB, which is close to a 40% increase in total package size. For
that reason, I don't think it's a good idea to include it. Now, fixing
it so it installs correctly out-of-the-box, that's something to pursue.

Vincent