OpenGL bug in 0.9.1

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 08:05:07 CST 2005

--- Daniel <daniel.skorka at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:55:05AM +0100, Raphael wrote:
> > > Daniel is putting a patch together, his card only supported glx 1.2 and
> > > glXChooseFBConfig required 1.3. There was some old code that works with 1.2
> > > that he's using.
> >
> > No, all cards "supports" glx 1.3.
> > GLX is implemented on X server and is independant from graphic card
> > capabilities (GLX 1.3 is only a API evolution form 1.2). Graphic cards driver
> > shouldn't influe this APIs.
> > He must find what happened (and maybe open a bug report on X)
>
> Actually, I think Raphael is right. glXChooseFBConfig shouldn't be hardware
> related (it's nothing that needs acceleration like e.g. matrix
> transforms). However, as glxinfo shows, my system just doesn't implement
> GLX 1.3, only version 1.2. So, while it is strange that
> glXChooseFBConfig exists at all on my system it is not required to work.
> Thus, no bug in X11 (I think).
>

>From ATI's documentation on pbuffers, but still about glx and X11

2. Description of the "pbuffer API"

Pbuffer support was officially introduced in GLX 1.3 but Silicon Graphics,
Inc. has publicly released only the source code of GLX 1.2 so far. This is
included in XFree4.X. To provide pbuffer support to our customers, we decided
to partially emulate the behavior of GLX 1.3 on top of GLX 1.2. As soon as
the "real" GLX 1.3 API is available in XFree86, you can use the "genuine"
pbuffers of GLX 1.3 with our drivers. This will not require any changes in
your application code because the programmer has to use the same function
calls.
To use pbuffers, you need a custom version of "libGL.so.1.2" installed -
including our GLX 1.3 emulation code. Our driver installation tool will
automatically do that for you.

NOTE: Your application will report GLX version 1.2 on glXQueryVersion.
However, it is safe to call the GLX 1.3 functions as described below.

and glxinfo on my pc shows client glx 1.3 and server glx 1.2, which seems to fit ATI's
documentation.

Oliver.