OpenGL bug in 0.9.1

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 08:44:44 CST 2005

--- Daniel <daniel.skorka at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 02:05:07PM +0000, Oliver Stieber wrote:
> > >From ATI's documentation on pbuffers, but still about glx and X11
> > [...]
> > To use pbuffers, you need a custom version of "libGL.so.1.2" installed -
> > including our GLX 1.3 emulation code. Our driver installation tool will
> > automatically do that for you.
>
> Ahh, I think you're confused here. I am _not_ using the binary drivers
> provided by ATI. I _am_ using the stock drivers shipped with X11 and
> provided by the DRI project. Therefore, what you just quoted doesn't
> apply to my situation. Also, even if pbuffers are something hardware
> related, glXChooseFBConfig seems to be nothing more than a nicer
> interface to XGetVisualInfo and glXGetConfig than glXChooseVisual is.

I think it makes sense of why other peoples machines are working and yours isn't, many people have
client glx version 1.3 that supports glXChooseFBConfig you only have glx 1.2 that doesn't support
glXChooseFBConfig which is why I think wines opengl isn't working for you but other opengl
application are.

> > and glxinfo on my pc shows client glx 1.3 and server glx 1.2, which seems to fit ATI's
> > documentation.
>
> It reports client glx 1.2 and server glx 1.2 for me.

My OpenGL book has some weird notes:

glXChooseFBConfig is available only if the GXL version is 1.3 or greater.

but then it says:

If the GLX version is 1.1 or 1.0 the GL version must be 1.0,  If the GLX version is 1.2 the GL
version must be 1.1. If the GLX version is 1.3 the GL version must be 1.2.

which doesn't seem to fit with it'self.

It also says:

Errors:
 NULL Is returned if ..... dpy doesn't support the GLX extension.

I think the ChooseVisuial fallback if either, the client glx version is 1.3 or glXChooseFBConfig
returns NULL is OK.

Oliver.