Unable to start UTF-8 encoded executable in UTF-8 locale - one line fix included

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Thu Nov 24 13:38:40 CST 2005

Andreas Mohr wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 12:09:06PM -0500, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
>

>>Changelog:
>>* Initialize file_exists to 0 at exe load test, prevents mistaking
>>of UTF-8 encoded exenames as builtins.
>>

>Isn't that almost *exactly* what mengzhuo li very recently sent?
>Is it the same place or the same problem in a different part of
>process.c?

Now that I checked the patch by mengzhuo li, I realized that it fixes
the exact same problem, but at a different place from my patch. My patch
initializes the value at the callee, mengzhuo li's initializes it at the
caller. Personally, I think that the proper place to fix it is at the
callee, because it seems that the caller was initially written with the
assumption that the callee unconditionally initializes the flag. Since
the latest CVS did not include the patch, I assumed the bug was
unacknowledged, and I did not think that the problem mengzhuo li saw was
the same as what I saw. Especially because from his explanation, it
seemed that it fixed an attempt to execute a non-executable file (with a
.txt extension), rather than mistaking a PE native exe for a builtin
(which is what I saw). These two problems are actually two symptoms of
the same bug.

Alex Villacís Lasso