Stop-ship 0.9 problem

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Sat Oct 1 23:21:21 CDT 2005

"Mike Hearn" <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> There is a serious problem with Wine 0.9 as-is, namely that we now respect
> Windows antialiasing settings.

That's not a Wine problem, that's a correct behaviour.

> If you have a patented bytecode hinter enabled FreeType, things look OK:
>
>   http://plan99.net/~mike/files/hinted-fonts.jpg
>
> but if you don't (like 99% of Linux users):
>
>   http://www.republika.pl/belegdol/temp/wine.png
>
> Needless to say we can't ship 0.9 when it'll look like that for most users.

I'd argue that it's not a Wine problem/bug at all, we can do nothing to improve
hinting support in FreeType. And crippling Crossover (by making it differ with
WineHQ for no good reason) because of that is not a way to go IMO.

In any case if a Wine user wants to see correctly displayed TrueType fonts with
correct document layout (as it depends on the rendered glyph metrics) he/she
has to use patented FreeType. And that's for sure the problem of a Linux distro
vendor who must take care of it.

--
Dmitry.