font issues

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Sun Oct 9 01:23:52 CDT 2005

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 08:44:00 +0200, luis lenders <lgvlenders at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi, what i find rather confusing in current wine , is
> that it only tries to use the fonts in
> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts.

Yes, winecfg does not seem to be as complete/flexible as the old
.wine/config method yet.

Lets say i'm a new user
> and i want to try out wine. I create a new directory
> ~/.wine and i try to install for example Guitar pro
> demo:
> http://213.246.36.227/download/GP4DEMO_EN.EXE
>
> After install i try the program but it doesn't run
> (there's a bug) So i want to change settings via
> winecfg. I end up with the following screen: (see
> attachment) This is because Guitar Pro places some
> weird font in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts. Of course
> can remove the font again or copy other fonts to
> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts but this is beyond the
> knowledge of new wine users i guess. Is there a simple
> way to avoid these kinds of issues?

It seems that you need to determine what this app is doing to screw up std
fonts on wine. Since this presumably does not mess up a windows system
this is presumably a weakness in wine/winecfg that needs to be adressed.

The use of $WINDOWS/fonts by winecfg and the app seems perfectly normal,
so why is this doing odd things.

If you can recover a working wine (preferably you will have kept a tarball
of wine before installing GP4 so you can roll back easily) you can compare
ls -ail windows/fonts before and after and do a diff on the .reg files in
~/.wine before and after to see if it is changing some font related reg
keys.

HTH